Cold crashing airlock problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK_BREWERY

Reaction score
so i have a blonde ale and a red ale in my kegerator @ 36 degrees, i expected the pressure difference would cause the airlock to suck back some of the vodka i had in it but i've refilled them twice now and when i check in the morning they are empty again! should i just cap the carboy with a solid stopper before cold crashing next time? or is there a method to reduce the suck back from the airlock? both beers should be fine with a few shots of vodka in them, right?

Yeah, a few airlocks full of vodka shouldn't be a huge deal. Maybe a .01% ABV bump.

I'd just yank out the stopper and the airlock, and replace with sanitized tinfoil. A solid stopper would be more expensive, and you'd risk having that sucked down into the carboy which would be a PITA to remove.

if i remove airlock and stopper completely and just cap with tin foil or something else is there any risk of contamination from the air being pulled in?

so i should wait till the temperature stabilizes before refilling the airlock? or just remove the airlock all together? all this "dirty" air shouldn't cause contamination issues?

so i should wait till the temperature stabilizes before refilling the airlock? all this "dirty" air shouldn't cause contamination issues?

If you want, you could put some sanitized foil over the opening, until the temperature is stable and then you could replace the airlock. Otherwise, leave the airlock empty until the fermenter is cold, then fill.

Back