Cold crash while dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
I dry hopped my beer on Sunday, and I was wondering if I could cd crash it now so I can keg it this weekend? Will I still get all the benefits from the hops if I chill the beer?

Also, what could I do as a filter when I rack the beer into my keg? There's quite a bit of material I'd like to leave behind on the transfer. Thanks guys :)

I normally transfer to a secondary to cold crash something that I dry hop. Not saying you have to, but I find that I will get less gunk into my bottles/keg if I rack from under the dry hop and then let it settle again during cold crash.

If you dont want to do that, get a paint strainer bag or some other mesh and put it around the end of your auto siphon. Sanitize everything of course!! Then rack to keg.

How long you dry hop your beer is a matter of preference. I usually go 5-7 days mainly because my free time is on the weekends. I cold crash my dry hopped beers prior to racking to the keg, so to help the hops and yeast drop out.

I don't bother trying to filter while transferring from carboy. Just use one of those black caps at the tip of your racking tube and stay above the trub.

Ideally you cold crash after your dry hop is complete otherwise the hops just drop out and you may not get what you want

To filter just put a hop sack around the racking cane as a filter, works great!

Great, thanks for the info! I guess I do have another question then: I did transfer already to a secondary to dry hop... so, I want to cold crash this beer to make things settle a bit more. Most of the hops have fallen to the carboy, but will they still do their job if I put this in the refrigerator? I am doing my first Keg, so I am nervous about getting a bunch of gunk into it. Can I cold crash now for 3 days and keg Sunday?

I do not secondary. I dry hop in the primary. I cold crash 5 days before bottling. I find that I get better hop flavor this way; I think the hop oils get into the beer better if they are not flotting on top. However, I do not keg. Can you just dry hop in the keg and then carb and serve? I hope this helps you.

Back