Cold crash then carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhhobbies

Reaction score
After primary for a few weeks I will keg my beer then it goes in the kegerator to cold crash, is it better to add c02 right away it would it clear faster if I let it sit in the cold for about a week first then carb? I'm wondering if the c02 keeps everything in suspension longer, what do you all do?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I cold crash the fermenter over night taking the beer to 36 then rack to keg and then carb.

What I should do is buy a stand up freezer to but my half barrel conical into, that way after fermentation I can cold crash like you then transfer to kegs, then carb. I think it would be best to clear the beer before the gas goes on.

If you cold crash in the keg first couple beers are nasty. Them most trub will stick to bottom of keg. Stand up freezer works great. Its what i use and if you use a pump you can transfer beer in and out without removing fermenter.

Yup I'll be c02 transferring beer from fermenter to the kegs as soon as my stuff comes in to do do.

I rarely bother cold crashing separately anymore, just transfer from primary to keg and put the gas on right away. I use whirfloc on pretty much everything unless I forget, so the beer is already quite clear going in the keg. Typically I only get a few ounces of cloudy stuff when tapped, and when the kegs kick there is a slight dusting of yeast on the bottom.

Cold crashing *before* transferring to keg is preferable to me, because it helps keep a lot of sediment out of the keg in first place.

But if you are going to cold crash IN the keg you may as well go ahead and start carbing it up while you are at it.

Back