cold crash the IIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
Hey all, got a Pliny the Elder clone brewin away. It's at 12 days, FG reached a week ago, all dry-hops added, and normally I'd start thinking about ramping the temps down for a cold crash and adding gelatin.

Not really having much experience with IPAs, is cold crashing / gelatin something that people would normally do or is that going to affect the hop flavour?

Normally I care a lot about clarity and generally my beers look great, but if it's going to weaken the hop flavour at all then I'm happy to skip the cold crash this time and live with cloudy tasty beer.

I cold crash nearly everything (maybe not a hefe), and gelatine anything that should be clear.
Some people say gelatine will strip the hop oils out but others say it makes no difference. My gelatined Pliny was great.

I did a Pliny all grain from morebeer and it came out really good.. I could crashed in fermenter and used gelatin in the keg.. It was actually VERY bitter until a few weeks in the keg and then it tasted really good and had plenty of aroma and flavor.

I could crash everything as well, and use gelatin.. Not sure if I am going to on the upcoming NE IPA's I'm going to be brewing though because the super hazy glowing orange look is what I'm after.

I really like that glowing orange look in a pale ale. Makes it look like citrus, works nicely with the American hops.

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I go ahead with the normal schedule for crashing.

If you cold crash you may want to add some conditioning yeast at bottling. Even if you don't cold crash you may want to. I brewed this recently and did not cold crash and it was my first beer that did not carbonate well.

Back