Cold crash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
I've searched but I can't find what I'm looking for. As some of you probably know, I'm waiting on the rest of the parts for my kegerator to get here this week sometime. I'm in AK and the highs right now are around 45. If I put my secondary with an Irish Stout in it outside to cold crash, how long should I do it? I'm keeping it covered so light doesn't get to it. Then, can I rack it to a corny and let it sit there until the stuff gets in? I don't want to hook it up to my CO2 yet because I want to have all of the tubing connected for the entire rig in stead of just hooking it up to one corny 'just because.'

Thanks in advance.

Well, I can give up , my experience. I am cold crashing for thee days at 34.

However, I'm not sure how much clarity you will get on a stout.

Larry

What type of container is the beer in? I think your primary concern is over whether the vessel will gracefully handle the freezing of the beer. I would trust a stainless steel keg or a plastic fermenter over a glass carboy.

It's in a glass carboy. My main concern is getting all the yeast to settle out before I rack it to the keg. Someone mentioned siphoning and just keeping the bottom of the siphon at the top of the beer. I may try that after I get the O rings switched and the keg sanitized.

Back