Cold crash/Dry hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Today I racked my Cascade/Orange to secondary to start dry-hopping. I'm going to dryhop it for a week, so I decided since I was doing that, I might as well just toss it in the keezer and cold crash it because I'll be kegging it next weekend.

I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with this. The hops will still put the aroma into the beer at the chilled temperature? I'm pretty sure they will but I just wanted to double check before I leave it in there for an extended period.

Dry Hopping is best done at room temps. It's much more effective.

That was kinda my initial thinking but then I thought more about it it seems a lot of people dryhop right in the keg with great success. So I'm not really sure....??

All reactions slow at colder temps, so the rate the compounds go into solution is reduced. In essence, you will have to dry hop much much longer to have the same result. Why not dryhop in the keg at room temp?

All reactions slow at colder temps, so the rate the compounds go into solution is reduced. In essence, you will have to dry hop much much longer to have the same result. Why not dryhop in the keg at room temp?

because i planned on force carbing it this weekend. so essentially, i would have been only been dry-hopping at room temp for 3-4 days before tossing it into the keezer to cold crash.

i didnt want to dominate the beer with the dry hopping anyways, thus only going for 1 week, but maybe i should pull it out of the keezer until thursday or so.

Back