Cold Crash-Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian-d

Reaction score
If I have cold crashed my beer, do I need to bring it back up to room temp or proceed with bottling and let it come back up once in bottles? Thanks.

When I cold crashed a brown ale, it never ended up carbing after 4 weeks at 75 F. Be careful, as two days in the fridge with Wyeast 1056, and it had mostly flocculated.

Was there some other problem? I have read through a lot of threads which say cold crashing clears the beer and they bottled after a couple days at 36-40. Your scaring me dude!

I've lagered beers for 8 weeks and the beers carbed up just fine afterwards, so certainly cold crashing for a few days won't harm it at all. You don't have to warm up the beer to bottle, and you probably want to bottle it cool anyway as to not restir/resuspend the stuff that fell out in the cold crash. But you'll have to let them carb up at room temperature. It works perfectly!

What sometimes happens though is that people use "carbonation calculators" that ask for beer temperature. It doesn't say to use fermentation temperature, NOT current temperature! So, if you put in, say 34 degrees, it'll tell you to use like 1 ounce of corn sugar. Which of course means the beer won't carb! If and when you use a carbonation calculator, use the highest temperature that the beer reached during/after fermentation in that calculator. That will be most accurate.

I found that carbonation calculators never worked well for me, as I like my beer carbed pretty well (like at 2.4 volumes for most styles). So I found that using 1 ounce of corn sugar per gallon of finished beer worked great for me all of the time.

If you end up with 4.5 gallons at the end after the trub losses, then using 4.5 ounces of corn sugar (by weight) would be perfect. I have always weighed my sugar on my kitchen scale (I use it for hops, too), but if you don't have a scale that weighs to ounces you could use 3/4 cup of sugar loosely placed in a measuring cup.

Thank you very much Yooper. Your information gives me confidence I did the right thing and that all will be well. I also like the simplicity of the 1oz per gallon of beer for carbing. Simple is usually better, and like like my beers carbonated well too. I'll let know know how things with this batch go in 3-4 weeks! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question thoroughly.

Back