Cold Crash and Gelatin - amazing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Where I used to live I apparently had extremely versatile water. I could brew any style without adjustments and get a great beer. Given 2-3 weeks fermentation and 3 weeks bottle conditioning, or a week or so in the keg and I would get pretty clear beer.

I use Gelatin once in a keg and didn't notice a lot of difference.

I moved to Florida in November and brewed 3 beers up to February. All of those were cloudy. For the 4th I went from a swamp cooler to a chest freezer with Inkbird controller. So I decided to both cold crash and add Gelatin to the primary. I was amazed by the amount of trub compared to what I usually get. It was more that double the usual amount. BTW, this one did not have an unusually large amount of hops.

It is quite clear and the gravity sample tasted very good.

Likely your new water is lacking in calcium which, among other things, aids in clarity. I've read many places that 50ppm is a minimum, but have experienced plenty of cloudy beers at that level. My personal finding is that 80ppm almost always promotes better protein breaks an final clarity.

I have to get a water test by Ward Labs. But I wouldn't think that calcium would be low in FL. I would guess the water comes from wells and the bedrock here is limestone!!

Back