Cold crash after 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNC04

Reaction score
I have a raspberry ale that I made from a partial extract kit that has been in the primary for 2 weeks due to my traveling. I'd like to free up my primary fermenter and brew another batch of beer up before I hit the road again.

Typically I would xfer to the secondary and then rack to a keg after a week or two but I've read about cold crashing and I just happen to have room at the moment to do it to this batch.

Is there any benefit to racking into a carboy and then cold crashing for two weeks at 35 degrees or so?

I dont have another airlock but with cold crashing, do I need it in the carboy?

Thanks
Brettt

Cold crashing can often help beer to clear, but I do not think it is a good replacement for some quality time in a secondary vessel.

Perhaps you could move it to secondary for a couple of weeks and then cold crash? Both are designed to help beer clarity and even with the cold crash their is still some junk that will hang out in suspension. A little longer in both wouldn't hurt. Good luck

Back