Cold conditioning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab

Reaction score
Hey all;

I want to cold condition a Pale Ale I currently have in secondary before bottling, but the fridge I have in mind is a keggerator and the carboy+airlock will not fit into it. It will fit with just a rubber stopper. Question is, if I stick it in there with some plastic or something sanitized to cover the hole in the stopper, will it blow off? Will fermentation still be occuring(however little) at 32 deg?

thanks!

IMO the beer would be fine for a few days cold conditioning w/out the conventional airlock. What I have done is use plastic wrap doubled over the top of the carboy and then a small piece of alum foil. wrap it tight w/ a rubber band or a piece of string. I actually prefer this as the carboy can "inhale" the liquid in the airlock. I wouldn't worry at all of it blowing off as the beer is done fermenting, right?

IMO sanitation and oxidation are valid concerns, use common sense and be as clean and neat as possible, this is only brewing not surgery.

Mike

You can also cut the finger off a latex / nitrile glove and fix that on the carboy. I prick a hole w/ a pin and any presure will vent during an active fermentation. This actually works well in lieu of an airlock and I assume those medical gloves are sanitary??

Blacklab's question brought up one i have been trying to figure out. If i cold condition my beer will it have any effect on the yeast. I bottle condition and wanted to make sure that conditioning in the frige wont affect the live yeast.

Johnmike24 said:
Blacklab's question brought up one i have been trying to figure out. If i cold condition my beer will it have any effect on the yeast. I bottle condition and wanted to make sure that conditioning in the frige wont affect the live yeast.

The cold will affect it by causeing it to go dormant, you'll probably have to warm the beer up for a few days prior to priming, or repitch some dry yeast with the priming sugar.

I'd be a little concerned with floccing out too much yeast. I cold crash my secondaries but it's because I force carb in keg. You might want to just let it clear a bit warm, bottle it, let it carb THEN cold condition the bottles. They clear up really well that way and you just have to pour carefully.

Bobby_M said:
I'd be a little concerned with floccing out too much yeast. I cold crash my secondaries but it's because I force carb in keg. You might want to just let it clear a bit warm, bottle it, let it carb THEN cold condition the bottles. They clear up really well that way and you just have to pour carefully.

I definitely agree with this if you are bottling. I cold condition, but I keg. If you allow your beer to card in the bottle for 2-3 weeks, and then let them mellow in the fridge for a week or two, they will come out clear.

thanks for the help. I'll wait and bottle it and let it cold condition. Its a clone of Ithaca Brewing Company's Cascazilla if anyone cares to know. A "monstrously hoppy red ale"

Back