Cold Conditioning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camneel83

Reaction score
Is there any difference on the rate at which harsher alcoholic flavors mellow (such as in barleywines) when conditioned at a colder temperatures vs. warmer cellar temps? The reason why I ask is that I just aquired a gigantic refrigerator and kegging system. I can put the majority of my higher gravity beers that are already bottled in that fridge so that I can free up space elsewhere.

As far as kegging high gravity beers I am planning on doing like a 1-2 month primary and then keeping them in the secondary for 3-8 months (depending on how big the beer is) and then just kegging them for 2 weeks to carb. I would secondary in a keg but I blew all my money on this kegging system so that will have to wait. For those of you that keg high gravity beers does this sound about right?

I understand that yeast work slower in cooler temperatures just not sure if it's the same when it comes to the overall mellowing of the beer and that alcoholic heat.

Thanks!

Wow- that's a great question! I know that lagering helps to smooth out hop polyphenols but I have no idea the effect on a "big" ale like a barleywine. I'm very curious to those who have experience in this area have to say.

/subscribed.

Well I have two huge belgians that are about 6 months old now so I put those in the fridge and we'll see what they're like in another 6 months. I'll keep one at room temperature just to compare.

The aging effects are not really a function of the yeast at all. It is other chemical reactions going on inside the beer. Colder temperatures will slow down those reactions and prolong the shelf life of your beer.

Back