Cold conditioning beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llamatabrew

Reaction score
Been messing around with my fermentation schedule. Recently dropped using a secondary altogether. I'd prefer to go straight from the primary to the keg and let it condition in there if need be.

My question is, does conditioning continue at "kegging temps" (35-42ish)? If so (I assume the answer is yes), does it slow down considerably?

I guess I'm trying to figure out the benefits of conditioning a beer at room temp vs. keg temps.

Conditioning does slow down as the temp drops. That being said and others may disagree, I have found no problems with cold crashing in the primary, racking to a keg and pressurizing then letting it condition at room temp for a few weeks before chilling and carbonating.

Conditioning does slow down as the temp drops. That being said and others may disagree, I have found no problems with cold crashing in the primary, racking to a keg and pressurizing then letting it condition at room temp for a few weeks before chilling and carbonating.

I am no expert but this is what I plan on doing to let beers condition quicker at room temp.

Back