Cold-brewed cane sugar alcohol base

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldbrewedsugar

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am working on producing a cold-brewed can sugar alcohol base due to its neutral flavor profile and color. Has anyone produced this, and could you advise on how long the fermentation period takes? Also, any insight or resources on the cold-brewed process would be much appreciated!

What you're looking for is a simple sugar wash but not boiled. Boiling has advantages, it kills nasties in the water and anything you put in and also helps in dissolving the sugar. If you want to skip this part and use clean pure water, sure you can do it (equipment sanitised) as you're not using any grains or fruits etc, you don't have to break anything complex. Use Turbo yeast (3-5 days) or a Wine yeast like EC-1118 (5 days or more), assuming you are not fermenting in a cold place.
Ratio of Water to sugar can be 1:4 (kg and Litres). I haven't done sugar wash personally but the process is the simplest one.

I would always recommend doing a boil with a sugar wash or wort.

Most washes will be high enough abv to stop bugs once it has fermented (few buys can love above 5% abv) but if any had taken hold before then, it can give a flavour to the wash (which can be good for a sugarhead whisky or rum imo). As well, boiled sugar with a bit of citric or tactic acid is much easier on the yeast than plain dumped in sugar, also reducing the chances of getting off flavours from stressed yeast.

What sort of nutrients/recipie are you thinking of using?

Back