Cold brew coffee amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I have a stout that I'm going to keg tomorrow. I have 5oz of coffee beans cold brewing in 2 cups of water in a french press. How much of this should I add to a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks,
Zach

I have a stout that I'm going to keg tomorrow. I have 5oz of coffee beans cold brewing in 2 cups of water in a french press. How much of this should I add to a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks,
Zach

I can tell you Terrapin ads 1lb of rough crushed coffee per bbl of their Wake n Bake

I think i figured that was 2.5 ounces for a 5 gallon batch.

I use cold brewed and add 1 cup (8oz) to a 2 gallon batch. My brew is strong. If I make a cup of coffee I use the cover from a Gatorade bottle and measure out 3 cap fulls for a cup of coffee black. You can do the math from here. :) Add slowly and taste often so you don't over do it. Mix gently so you don't get O2 in the beer.

Hi,
Does the oil from the coffee have a negative affect on getting good carbonation? I use corn sugar to carb in bottles.

I think it's something you have to experiment with. I recently brewed a breakfast stout (5 gal) with a full 12 oz bag of beans using cold steep ( added at flameout). The coffee flavour was strong but not overwhelming and the beer did quite well in a local competition with the homebrew club. If you do the math, you would essentially be using full-strength coffee in place of brewing water if you use 4 full bags of beans (48 oz) for a 5 gal batch. You'd obviously want something less potent than that, and I used a quarter of that strength for mine. Do you want the coffee to be just noticeable or a significant contributor to the flavor profile? If you're adding it post fermentation you have the option of adding it it increments till you're happy with it.

One thing I firmly believe is that you should go for the best quality coffee you can find and use a light roast. Dark and medium roasts cook all the flavour out of the coffee.

Back