Cold Break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmlavoy

Reaction score
So, I did my first all grain batch on Saturday, and managed to put a massive amount of cold break into the fermenter. Idiot.

My original plan was to do another lager after I racked, and pitch on to the yeast cake. Is that going to cloud the 2nd beer big time, or is that crap going to settle out of it mostly?

Also, what do people with CFC or plate chillers do about this? I would imagine all your cold break ends up in the carboy. I suppose you could just buy a conical, let it settle out and dump it before you pitch the yeast. I'll bet SWMBO would just jump on that one ("..but, baby, I need it. For clear lagers!")

I wouldn't worry about it. The cold break is actually good for yeast so it will help them be more healthy. Give it a try and keep good notes on your observations. There is no better way to learn about your brewing.

Back