Quantcast

Cold break...

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

KatoKiyo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm just looking for a bit of advice.
I brewed an all grain pale ale yesterday and after I passed it through my hopback and chiller, I noticed there seemed to be a LOT of cold break stuff in the beer. It has now settled to the 15L mark on my fermenter (there is approximately 21.5L of beer in it). In short, there is a $hit load of it. I've never seen this much... what is usual for everyone? I assume this will affect my siphoning and thus, the final volume of beer?

Cheers!
Tom

Poobah58

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It will compact down in a few days and not look as bad. When you rack, hold the cane a couple of inches above the trub. When the level gets down there, put the cane in the middle of the trub. You will get some trub in the secondary, but you will get most of the liquid and leave most of the trub behind.

Danek

Reaction score
Yeah, RDWHAHB - I had the exact same thing happen on my last beer, and it turned out to be my best brew yet. The cold break settled down eventually, and it didn't seem to have any negative effect on the beer.

Got Trub?

Reaction score
As mentioned it won't harm your beer and will compact down alot. You won't be losing any more volume then you would have if you had used an immersion chiller and left the cold break behind in your brew pot - actually probably less as it does compact down in the fermentor.

GT