cold break?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe028

Reaction score
Just went from keggle to the primary and I wonder if i see the cold break? This is the first brew I have seen in a carboy (others in plastic bucket) so maybe it happens everytime, but I see something new to me. I use a wort chiller and bring to pitching temp in 20-30 minutes. It is the stuff I see floating near the bottom of the carboy kinda whitish in color. Shouldn't that filter out through my filtering funnel? or is that what you guys are whirlpooling out? Any insight appreciated thanks

Joe

That's the cold break. Don't worry it'll settle to the bottom in a few hours and form part of the trub.

hotbreak.JPG

racking%20to%20secondary.JPG

okay good deal. I thought though that the LACK of cold break leads to a more clear beer? Is that true? and if so how in the future do I filter this cold break out?

Thanks a lot for the pics though....because that is EXACTLY what i see

It's a good idea to filter out what you can.

I use the hop bed and a ss screen to filter. A fair bit gets through as you see but I use Irish moss and most of it drops in the first 224 hours. Then I secondary and my beers ckear enough for me. I could olways use extra finnings in secondary if I needed but have never needed to.

Try it and see. I'm sure there are others with other views.

orfy said:
That's the cold break. Don't worry it'll settle to the bottom in a few hours and form part of the trub.

Orfy, you can't really see the cold break on this picture :). The chunky stuff on the bottom is actually the hot break. Cold break is much finer and only manifests itself as a haze to the beer that takes a little longer to settle out. Assuming that these are pictures from the same batch, the beer appears ligher in color in the first picture because of the cold break.

Joe,

The cold break is usually not filtered out. If you use an immersion chiller you can whirlpool after chilling and wait for much of the hot and cold break to settle before you siphon into the primary. This way you can leave all the hot break behind and the cold break that is still in suspension won't do any harm.

Kai

boo boo said:
And IIRC cold break don't precipate out until the wort temps get to 10c and below.

I think it is more around 50C that you see the cold break appear in the wort.

Kai

Back