Cold Break / Trub Floating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smit6089

Reaction score
Please forgive the noob question but will cold break / Trub settle to the bottom and then float to the top en masse?

url]

This is only my second batch and is BierMunchers Centennial Blonde. Last time I brewed this all my Trub and Cold Break just settled to the bottom and stayed. That's how this started but first thing this morning a solid puck of Trub is just floating up top. Very weird to me. Maybe this is normal? I'm not sweating it too much, more curious than anything.

This is only 12 hours after pitching yeast. It's been fermenting at 67f

Thanks all!

The cake was probably floated by the yeast producing CO2. It will drop again as it begins to lose structural integrity.

Yes it can. It usually doesn't but the activity of the yeast when it is just getting started can lift the trub to the top. After the yeast gets going good it will probably quickly break it up and mix it into the rest of the beer, then when fermentation slows the trub will gently settle to the bottom, followed by the yeast.

Thanks a lot for the info. Just something I hadn't noticed before.

Happy Brewing everyone!

Back