Coffin Keezer Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcapone

Reaction score
I recently acquired a like new 14.8 freezer for $150 on craigslist and am going to be turning it into a coffin keezer. I'm debating on how to do the tower though. I'm thinking of having the lines run through insulated pvc pipe as opposed to insulating the coffin itself. I figure there is less room to cool so it should be easier to keep it at the right temp.

The thing I'm debating on though is do I want to make 1 opening in the chest freezer with a fan blowing up a T shaped PVC or should I make 2 openings in the lid and have the PVC shaped like a bridge. Part of me is thinking with only 1 opening in the lid there is less space for the cold air to potentially escape from, but the air circulation won't be as well since the cold air has no place to escape. Would it just get trapped up there? I'm thinking the bridge method might be better for circulation since the air can have some place to escape.

I don't know, I'm torn.....or does it not matter and I'm over analyzing it?

I'd do it with circulation. Mine will likely have 4 holes. 2 for beer lines and 2 for dedicated air circulation.

I recently acquired a like new 14.8 freezer for $150 on craigslist and am going to be turning it into a coffin keezer. I'm debating on how to do the tower though. I'm thinking of having the lines run through insulated pvc pipe as opposed to insulating the coffin itself. I figure there is less room to cool so it should be easier to keep it at the right temp.

The thing I'm debating on though is do I want to make 1 opening in the chest freezer with a fan blowing up a T shaped PVC or should I make 2 openings in the lid and have the PVC shaped like a bridge. Part of me is thinking with only 1 opening in the lid there is less space for the cold air to potentially escape from, but the air circulation won't be as well since the cold air has no place to escape. Would it just get trapped up there? I'm thinking the bridge method might be better for circulation since the air can have some place to escape.

I don't know, I'm torn.....or does it not matter and I'm over analyzing it?

I would go with the bridge idea and use two fans, one in and one exhaust on the other side. You could start with one fan if you think it is overkill and see if you get foaming and if you do add an exhaust fan to increase air flow.

I am building my keezer right now as well and like the idea of using insulated pvc inside of the coffin...the only thing i would be worried about is replacing the lines would be a pita.

I would go with the bridge idea and use two fans, one in and one exhaust on the other side. You could start with one fan if you think it is overkill and see if you get foaming and if you do add an exhaust fan to increase air flow.

I am building my keezer right now as well and like the idea of using insulated pvc inside of the coffin...the only thing i would be worried about is replacing the lines would be a pita.

hmm, too true...maybe I should do an insulated box. In which case though should I still cut out two holes and keep the same method of circulation or is there a better way?

I'm going with a foam channel in my coffin. It'll serve the same purpose of the PVC - minimize space to cool and allow for line routing - but be easier to replace lines in the future.

Hi

The part of a "box" that is near the freezer lid is cooled already. Put another way - it gets cooled for free. Heat loss is a surface area vs volume thing. Small pipes are really bad in this respect. Boxes with one side free are going to be better.

Bob

Back