Coffee Urn Mash/Lauter Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svudah

Reaction score
The dust has cleared on my first all-grain experiment and it was all thanks to a 2.5 gallon coffee urn I picked up at Goodwill for $4.50.

Does anyone else use anything like this or even heard of it? I did a couple of google searches and the only thing I could find was a guy who makes bio diesel with a coffee urn. I just removed the long, internal stem, put a 1.5 inch steel ring around the heating element, and placed the filter bucket on top of that. I let it heat the water up to 168F, unplugged the machine, and doughed in the grain. After 60 minutes, the mash temp was still 151F. The filter bucket was a perfect false bottom and I sparged everything beautifully from the urns spigot. I hit my 1.050 target exactly.

Obviously, this is not big enough for your average brewer--this batch was only 2 gallons. But, for less than $5 I can now do small batches of all-grain brews and partial mashes of some bigger stuff.

Cheers

There was a thread awhile back about using one for an HLT, but using one for a Mash Tun hasn't been discussed as far as I know. Excellent idea, sounds like it works.

I actually used a part of a steel doorknob I found in the apartment I'm living in. It is just a 1.5 inch thick ring that fit perfectly over the heating element hole which is 1 inch in diameter. By resting the filter bucket on top of that, I have space for the hot liquor to drain out of the spigot while allowing the hot water to flow through while I'm heating it up.

You could always get one of those 100 cup coffee urns that would hold more than 5 gallons of liquid and let you mash larger batches....

I would be curious about the metals you are working with and their leaching abilities. biodiesel and beer are not hte same although they are both fuels.... ! :mug:

Back