coffee stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oms1981

Scum
Reaction score
I am a barista and a coffee lover. So is swmbo as well as many of my friends. I really love a good stout and there is a brewery here in Milwaukee that makes a pretty good coffee stout that has inspired me. I would like to try making an espresso stout. I am wondering if anyone has any recipies, ideas, tips, etc on the matter. I want to be sure that the recipe isn't terribly bitter because the coffee will add a substantial amount of bitterness and the end product needs to be palatable.

I found several different stout recipies on NorthernBrewer and was wondering if any of them would be suitable for what I am doing, or if someone has another recipe to try...

Stout #1
1 lbs simpsons roasted barley
6 lbs golden malt syrup
1 oz nugget hops
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ales yeast

Stout #2
0.5 lbs dingemans debitter black
0.5 lbs simpsons chocolate
6 lbs amber malt syrup
1 oz target hops
Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast

Stout #3
0.5 lbs simpsons dark crystal
0.5 lbs simpsons roasted barley
0.5 lbs simpsons black malt
3.15 lbs gold malt syrup
3 lbs dark DME
1 oz target hops
Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast

The book I am reading says something about using 1/2 pound freshly ground coffee per 5 gallon batch. If anyone has any helpful info I'd really appreciate it

I saw coffee roasted malt in the tore today when i went, don't know how much to use, but they said it tastes like coffee. I will experiment next time i need to make a stout.

I did a chocolate coffee stout and loved it. The chocolate didn't come through a lot but it gave it the smoothest mouth feel I've ever had, so you may want to consider it.

In my opinion the best way to add coffee to a beer is to ferment it out, age it in the secondary and at bottling/kegging time add cold brewed coffee(regular grounds in cold water overnight). I added 2 cups to the 5 gallon batch and it stood out well. The cold brew because it doesn't extract all the oils and won't mess with the head as much.

hmmm the cold brewed coffee sounds like a good idea. Do you mind me asking what type of chocolate you used and how much?

I used 4oz of Hershey's Baker's Chocolate (the powdered form). Just put it in the secondary.

This time around I boiled it for about 2mins though, we'll see how that turns out.

Back