Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDjos

Reaction score
Hello all. First time posting, been stalking for a couple months.

I'm on my 2nd beer right now, a Peace Coffee Java Stout from Midwest. The recipe says OG~1.044 and FG~1.011. My OG was 1.040 and after 2 weeks in the primary it is 1.020. I pitched the dry yeast at about 80 degrees but quickly got the bucket in a swamp cooler and got temp to below 70 and its stayed between 60-70 since. Also, I've gotten into the habit of really moving the muslin bag around with my steeping grains to get a lot of flavor out. Not too sure if I should be doing this.

Last night was when I checked the gravity for the first time and the bucket was 60. I gave the bucket a few swirls to try and get it going again.

My question is do you think it is done at 1.020? Should I rack it or try and heat it up some to help the yeast? Thoughts?

Most of the time those numbers are what you're aiming for, not a definite range. Everyone's brew station, as well as techniques, vary and those variables can create discrepancies in efficiencies and end products.

If it's been stable for as long as you say at 1020, I'd assume you're at a stopping point.

might be done...

my numbers from this kit were:
OG: 1.042
FG: 1.012

liquid yeast (no starter)

Back