Coffee Stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunchtime

Reaction score
I'm doing a coffee stout for the winter and could use a little help on numbers.

I'm cold-brewing coffee, then doing a 1:1 ratio with water...letting it sit for 24 hours and then adding it to the beer as I move it into the secondary.

My question is...What kind of total liquid am I looking at for my coffee mixture? About a liter is what I was thinking...So, .5L coffee added to .5L of water?

I pulled this from another on cold coffee

Coffee--Cold Extraction
This is a way of getting a very smooth coffee flavor to add to your beer. Add 1 lb ground coffee to 28 ounces of cold filtered water in a sanitized container. Allow this to sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then run the mixture through a coffee filter. All or part of this extract may be added to your beer -- I used Starbucks Dark Italian roast.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/mcaustins-mocha-stout-w-cold-brewed-coffee-27958/

Double the water by weight, because the coffee does absorb some of the water. I don't know how dense ground coffee is, but equal parts by volume is probably close.

I added cold brewed coffee to my oaked coffee porter, I am actually drinking one now.

I used 1 cup coffee to 4 cups of water, I believe it made about 3 cups of coffee. I added 2 cups of the coffee to 3 gallons of beer. With a stout you might want a little more.

Used Starbucks Tribute ground coffee.

Back