Coffee Stout Partial Mash Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suilesre

Reaction score
First time post, long time reader. I am a noob with 3 extract/speciality grain batches behind me with continual improvement. My next step is to go to a Partial Mash and I wanted to get some advice on a recipe I have concocted.

It is going to be a Cold Brewed Coffee Stout with coffee from a local roaster. My Grain bill looks like the following. My question is: How much DME do I need to achieve a OG of around 1.070? My plan is to drop it to a FG of 1.020.

Partial Mash
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
1 lb Flaked Barley (head retention)
½ lb Wheat Malt

Steeped Grains
1 lb Roasted Barley
½ lb Black Patent Malt
½ lb Chocolate Malt

3 or 4 lbs Light DME???

I plan on using Centennial, Simco, and Amarillo with an White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast Starter. For the Coffee I plan on adding cold brewed coffee at botteling time. Ideally I would love for it to taste something like Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout. Any advice would be well received.

Go get a free trial of Beersmith and plug in those numbers that will tell you your answer (not in front of my PC at the moment or I'd run it).

Second point. You'll not be steeping anymore. Only mashing. So don't differentiate your steep and mash grains; all in one mash.

Third point. In my experience 1 pound of roasted barley is way too strong of a flavor. You won't even need to add coffee to that recipe to make it coffee flavored. IMO use roasted B for color only and chocolate for flavor.

1lb of roasted barley and 1/2lb of black patent is not going to taste good! Way too much on the roasted malts. I'd cut both in half. That chocolate malt is going to throw chocolate and coffee flavors too, so be careful with how many roasted malts you plan on using. Too much and it will turn out acrid.

Brewed this last Friday. Took the advice and got BeerSmith, good call. I went with the following recipe.

3 lbs 2 row
2 lbs flaked barley
1 lb roasted barley
8 oz black patent
8 oz wheat malt

1 oz centennial 9.7 AAU @ 20 minutes

WP007 English Ale Yeast with starter in growler (stir plate in the works)

Brewed for the first time with my new bayou classic and 10 gallon igloo MLT. It went well for my first partial mash and I got 75% efficiency with a batch sparge. We will see how it is when it comes out of the primary in a few weeks. Right now it's bubbling away at 68 degrees.

Drinking this right now, turned out great. No head retention though, need to nail that down better...

Latest posts

Back