Coffee oatmeal stout

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Sithdad

Reaction score
I would like try my hand at making a recipe, but I don't have any experience at it. What do you all think of a stout with oats and espresso beans? I did a search of the forum and didn't find any recipes. How much coffee and when is the best time to add it?
Thanks your input.

OP
Sithdad

Sithdad

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reading material guys. This helps a lot! Can't wait to make "breakfast in a bottle".

Edcculus

Reaction score
I did a RIS this summer thats still aging. Its an attempt to clone Terrapin Wake N Bake (Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout). I'm not sure if I have it cloned, but its tasty so far. I plan on steeping coarse ground coffee straight in the secondary and pulling it out when I have enough flavor. I know others have had success adding cold steeped coffee straight to the beer too.

Ketchepillar

Reaction score
I did a RIS this summer thats still aging. Its an attempt to clone Terrapin Wake N Bake (Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout). I'm not sure if I have it cloned, but its tasty so far. I plan on steeping coarse ground coffee straight in the secondary and pulling it out when I have enough flavor. I know others have had success adding cold steeped coffee straight to the beer too.
Hmmm recipe por favor?

Edcculus

Reaction score
5 gallon
OG 1.092
IBU- 98
45srm
based on

4.75 lb Dry Malt Extract
6lb pale malt
1.25 lbs flaked oats
1 lb chocolate malt
.75lb flaked barley
.5lb black barley
.25lb roasted barley

1oz columbus (14.5%) 60min
1oz northern brewer (16.6%) 60min

Single infusion mash @ 154 for 60min. Double Batch Sparge, no mashout.

Add malt extract to boil. If you have a big enough mash tun, replace extract with enough pale malt to make the same gravity.

Ferment for 30 days at 65*F. Rack to a secondary and age for 3-6 months (a year would be best). In the last month before drinking, grind .25lbs of Jittery Joes Wake N Bake coffee blend. Put into a sanitized muslin bag and "dry coffee" for a week, or until the coffee flavor is to your liking. Carbonate and serve!

Latest posts