Coffee milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I have a chocolate milk stout recipie I'm happy with. recently I altered the basic recipie to a vanilla milk stout by removing the chocolate malt and adding vanilla beans. I would like to do a coffee milk stout. I realize I can use cold brewed coffee, but I was wondering if there is a way to get a pronounced coffee flavor with malts?

Interesting. My basic stout recipie uses roasted barley and oatmeal, and I did not sense coffee notes. Perhaps the oatmeal is masking/modifying the coffee notes?

You might consider doubling your dark roasted grains. My opinion is that unusual ingredients in beer (like coffee) rarely taste as expected, and rarely taste good.
I would use either a dark roasted malt (1 lb or so) or a good amount of chocolate malt (2-4lbs) in five gallons

How about something like this?
8 LB 2 row
1 lb black patent
1 lb L80
1 LB lactose
2 oz EKG 60 minutes
I'm looking for the L80 to lend a caramel smoothness to even out the harshness of the black patent. Perhaps steep the black patent instead of mashing.

How about something like this?
8 LB 2 row
1 lb black patent
1 lb L80
1 LB lactose
2 oz EKG 60 minutes
I'm looking for the L80 to lend a caramel smoothness to even out the harshness of the black patent. Perhaps steep the black patent instead of mashing.
Getting a strong coffee impression without the harshness is difficult to do. What you have looks good to me, but taste is very subjective. Hopefully some other will chime in.

(If you don't get many bites I would re-post the recipe as a new thread)

Back