Coffee Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1sportsdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Made a coffee cream ale. Took 3 weeks in the primary then transferred to the secondary where the coffee was added. Coffee was supplied as part of the kit. Recipe said to add between 2 to 4 oz depending on how strong you want it. I chose to use 3 oz. Tried to grind it course. Left it 2 weeks on the coffee. Bottled it and now 2 weeks later tried my first. Good, but kind of a harsh after taste. Not sure what to attribute it too. Could be too much coffee, too long on the coffee, too fine a grind, etc. Anybody have a similar experience? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I've never added coffee to a base beer similar to a Cream Ale, but I would suppose that a lighter beer like a cream ale might require a lighter hand on the coffee than a big stout. The flavors in the stout are robust and the coffee would blend in more, where the more delicate flavors of the cream ale might be overwhelmed by the coffee more easily, leading to an impression of harshness.

But that is all conjecture, as I said - I've not added coffee to light beer.

Coffee can come off astringent if you’re grind is too fine and if it’s a dark roast coffee.

If you make it again, I swear by using whole beans as if they were a dryhop. This seems to give a lot of aroma and flavor without any of the off flavors associated with coffee like thinning it out or making it bitter

Made a coffee cream ale. Took 3 weeks in the primary then transferred to the secondary where the coffee was added. Coffee was supplied as part of the kit. Recipe said to add between 2 to 4 oz depending on how strong you want it. I chose to use 3 oz. Tried to grind it course. Left it 2 weeks on the coffee. Bottled it and now 2 weeks later tried my first. Good, but kind of a harsh after taste. Not sure what to attribute it too. Could be too much coffee, too long on the coffee, too fine a grind, etc. Anybody have a similar experience? Any thoughts?

While I don't know how a coffee cream ale reacts I do know that my porters and stouts are pretty harsh at 2 weeks and become less so with time. Good luck with your beer and keep us informed as to whether time makes it less harsh.

Coffee can come off astringent if you’re grind is too fine and if it’s a dark roast coffee.

If you make it again, I swear by using whole beans as if they were a dryhop. This seems to give a lot of aroma and flavor without any of the off flavors associated with coffee like thinning it out or making it bitter

I like the idea or maybe just crush them a bit to get them cracked open without getting any fine grind.

While I don't know how a coffee cream ale reacts I do know that my porters and stouts are pretty harsh at 2 weeks and become less so with time. Good luck with your beer and keep us informed as to whether time makes it less harsh.

Never even thought about time as a factor once bottled. Will let you know if it mellows some.

Never even thought about time as a factor once bottled. Will let you know if it mellows some.
Coffee beans tend to give up their flavors pretty easily. Whole or cracked beans would likely work much better for this style.
You will find time changes the flavors of many beers. I’ve had beers go from undrinkable to barely tolerable after a month or two.

You were so right. It’s been 2 weeks since it finished carbonating, since I first tasted it, and it definitely has mellowed. No longer the harsh aftertaste. Pretty good now. Thanks for your input. [emoji1303]

Back