Coffee/Chocolate stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkim

Reaction score
Looking to do a chocolate/coffee stout. The recipe I have says to add chocolate at the last 15 minutes of the boil. It says I can add any type I want but one question I have is that if I use something like a baking chocolate or chocolate chips, will I have worry about the chocolate settling out when the wort cools? I could use something like hershey's syrup but would like to use a darker chocolate. Any advice? Also for the coffee, the recipe says to add one cup of triple strength coffee right before bottling. Has anyone tried anything like this and how has it turned out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Im a new homebrewer but in my last batch I put in a couple Table spoons of Cocoa powder used for baking. I figured this would just add a hint of chocolate without actually adding sugar or any other weird things. I probably wouldn't add actual chocolate, and Hersey syrup will have all sorts of stuff in it.

+1 on cocoa powder. Fat free cocoa powder if you can find it. I use anywhere from 6 to 9 ounces in my double chocolate oatmeal stout, but I like a LOT of chocolate flavor. Let the unsweetened cocoa powder give you the chocolate and then get your sweetness (if you want it) from your choice of malts. I also add mine in the last 15 minutes of the boil and it works great for me.

Back