Coffee Brewing efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasbrewer73

Reaction score
Am I the only one who pours a cup of coffee and starts thinking of ways that the extraction efficiency could be improved?

:rockin:

Am I the only one who pours a cup of coffee and starts thinking of ways that the extraction efficiency could be improved?

:rockin:

Nope, you're not the only one. I whirlpool my coffee in the press before I press it down. haha.. I also have many schemes in my head for making a giant french press for mashing my grains. :rockin:

So are yall fans of drip, press or cold brewing?

To get an awesome flavor you can do it Turkish Coffee style. Add boiling water to the coffee and then boil that coffee. Drink it with the grounds in it. Although you may want to let they grounds settle to the bottom.

Any body done cold brewing? How long does it take?

I cold brewed some coffee for a RIS I recently did. Stuck it in the fridge for about 2. Came out nice. A little weaker than i like. Next time I will give it another day or two.

Rehlgood said:
I cold brewed some coffee for a RIS I recently did. Stuck it in the fridge for about 2. Came out nice. A little weaker than i like. Next time I will give it another day or two.

Two what days?

I have a coffee stout on the back of my to-brew list. What kind of coffee did you use? I have some kona left over in the cabinet.....

Any body done cold brewing? How long does it take?

I cold brew exclusively (unless I forget and run out) ... Got the idea from a link somewhere in HBT that lead to a coldbrew technic page.

Basics - 1 part coffee to 4 parts water. Let sit 3 hours (min recommended iirc) to however long you like. Since Coffee can grow things, you might want to put it in your fridge if it is going to be long.... I put mine in the fridge because I generally steep it 12 hours.

Filter out grounds through favorite method. Mine is to pour it through a filter (DANG still buying filters) ... In part because the grounds are big, but the dust is small and goes through my strainers. I've been thinking of taking a grain bag to this so I can pull out the grounds and filter the dust quicker

With remaining coffee, you can add water to it to get 'cafe american' or american coffee, or use it at strength like expresso. Usually add 2 parts water to 1 part cold coffee. I also like cold drinks over hot drinks - what is the point of 190F coffee? I can't drink that! Human tongue is ok at about 140F and the throat is lower than that. SWMBO's coffee gets microwaved.

Observations: 1 less bitter. 2. if you are adding coffee flavor to beer, obvious you can get a concentrate this way. 3. longer time doesn't add much more flavor extraction, BUT the 24hr coffee I made has extracted more caffine and made my SWMBO jittery on 1 cup while my normal ~12 hour coffee doesn't (that's how I know more caffine @24hours)

I've not left it steeping for more than ~24 hours. Currently I make 1.5 cups of coffee with 6cups of water and then use the concentrate for 8 travel days of coffee (about 12-14 oz in my travel mug). Milage varries because on weekends teh mugs hold less, but I might have a 2nd cup.

ACbrewer said:
I cold brew exclusively (unless I forget and run out) ... Got the idea from a link somewhere in HBT that lead to a coldbrew technic page.

Basics - 1 part coffee to 4 parts water. Let sit 3 hours (min recommended iirc) to however long you like. Since Coffee can grow things, you might want to put it in your fridge if it is going to be long.... I put mine in the fridge because I generally steep it 12 hours.

Filter out grounds through favorite method. Mine is to pour it through a filter (DANG still buying filters) ... In part because the grounds are big, but the dust is small and goes through my strainers. I've been thinking of taking a grain bag to this so I can pull out the grounds and filter the dust quicker

With remaining coffee, you can add water to it to get 'cafe american' or american coffee, or use it at strength like expresso. Usually add 2 parts water to 1 part cold coffee. I also like cold drinks over hot drinks - what is the point of 190F coffee? I can't drink that! Human tongue is ok at about 140F and the throat is lower than that. SWMBO's coffee gets microwaved.

Observations: 1 less bitter. 2. if you are adding coffee flavor to beer, obvious you can get a concentrate this way. 3. longer time doesn't add much more flavor extraction, BUT the 24hr coffee I made has extracted more caffine and made my SWMBO jittery on 1 cup while my normal ~12 hour coffee doesn't (that's how I know more caffine @24hours)

I've not left it steeping for more than ~24 hours. Currently I make 1.5 cups of coffee with 6cups of water and then use the concentrate for 8 travel days of coffee (about 12-14 oz in my travel mug). Milage varries because on weekends teh mugs hold less, but I might have a 2nd cup.

That's great advice, I got Turkish coffee imperial stout on my to brew list. So I'm thinking cold brew coffee with cardamom in secondary.

I have one of those big glass Bodum vacuum coffee pots similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005NCX5/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Was going to try to brew some coffee in it for a stout.

71JBpTuNi2L._AA1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a vanilla espresso stout with espresso beans I got at starbucks (don't judge me!). I cold brewed it for about 36 hours in the fridge. That stout is by far the best beer I have made to date. The only problem is the oils in the espresso made my head retention suffer a little, but I don't mind since it tastes so good! I'll be making it again, but this time I'll tweak the grain bill to try and improve head retention..

Well I did a 'brew in a bag' with my cold brew this weekend. I used a left over grain bag (I save them from my steeping grains -same sort of bag as a hopsock- again I do extracts). My comments on that are the natural and 'elastic' bag do not clean easily GRR... on the other hand my filtering went quicker since I could pull out all the grounds at once, some had filtered through and some dust had gotten out. Then I filtered through a coffee filter as usual.

Back