Coffee Airpot as Make-Shift Draft System?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Francois

Reaction score
I spend too much time in coffee shops.

I was looking at the insulated airpots many coffee shops use to dispense drip coffee, like this one:
Airpot_SS.jpg

I don't have the resources for home kegging yet, but I would like a solution for parties and gatherings. The pots hold about 2.2 liters, so I was thinking, could I bottle in 2L bottles, naturally carbonate, then pour the beer into the airpot for serving. I'm assuming contents would be consumed within 2 hours, so there wouldn't be a risk of oxidation of the beer. I'm not proposing this as a long-term storage solution.

Here are the advantages I see:
--The pot is very well insulated. It keeps hot coffee hot for several hours, so I assume it could do the same for cold beverages.
--The measurements are about perfect: 2.2 liters allows just a bit of air room.
--The price is right: about 30 bucks for a new one, under 5 bucks for a used one.
--Very easy to clean.

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this method?

My airpot isn't exactly like that, but airpots work by pumping air into the pot forcing out the coffee. Beer is carbonated, it will pour all by itself. Mine does have a valve over the opening, but I know it won't hold pressure.

My airpot isn't exactly like that, but airpots work by pumping air into the pot forcing out the coffee. Beer is carbonated, it will pour all by itself. Mine does have a valve over the opening, but I know it won't hold pressure.

I think that you are right. It may not pour quickly but it is likely to come out.

I also think the carbon in the brew will more likely splash out of the pot than pour. That and all the air your pushing in the pot will (may) flatten your brew inside the pot before pouring. (just my .02)
Great Idea though!

Back