Code on conduit for 240v 30a outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
So I finally had someone come in to give me a quote on running an outlet for my new system and I had to tell them I'd get back to them after the sticker shock on the quote. I contacted another well rated electrician and over the phone he gave me a quote at 1/4 the price. The only thing that has me a bit concerned is he said it was within code to use conduit for the line (this will be in my garage near my panel). The only restriction was using a metal conduit and not something flimsy.

I know code can be different but does that sound correct? I'm basically comparing a larger electrical company with probably a one man show but 4x the price was just too staggering.

1/2" EMT should be fine for running three or four #10 (or #8) conductors. But don't quote me on that because I don't have a code book handy (and mine is 20 years old anyway)

I've seen people do this in their home but that doesn't mean it is up to code. I also saw in the demo video for my system from CO Brewing that they had conduit set up in the factory to brew on the system so at least the guys who make the system consider that safe.

So I finally had someone come in to give me a quote on running an outlet for my new system and I had to tell them I'd get back to them after the sticker shock on the quote. I contacted another well rated electrician and over the phone he gave me a quote at 1/4 the price. The only thing that has me a bit concerned is he said it was within code to use conduit for the line (this will be in my garage near my panel). The only restriction was using a metal conduit and not something flimsy.

I know code can be different but does that sound correct? I'm basically comparing a larger electrical company with probably a one man show but 4x the price was just too staggering.
What did the higher priced quote use instead of metal conduit?

What did the higher priced quote use instead of metal conduit?

He was going to try and go up into the attic, across, then down to the outlet. If he couldn't do that in the attic then he was going to punch holes in the drywall and feed it through the studs.

Their prices didn't have separate charges for labor. Instead they had hugely inflated prices per piece to include labor. They had great ratings on Angie's so I guess most people pay these prices.

1/2" EMT with #10 THWN/THHN and you should be in like Flynn...

In the garage, go with conduit. Who cares what it looks like.

I agree that looks aren't that big a deal in the garage, my issue was safety and code. If done well I think it has a cool steampunk look to it.

That's the point of conduit though, to run wires outside of wall cavities. I can't say 100% it's up to code but it sounds like it's fine to me.

That's the point of conduit though, to run wires outside of wall cavities. I can't say 100% it's up to code but it sounds like it's fine to me.

I just installed my 30a hookup in my garage the other day. I ran it through 1/2" conduit along the celing. I had a retired electrician help me and he basicly said the samething; we did everything right but he doesn't know exactly what the code is today.

Go with the cheaper guy. Fist off it seems like he better understands what this is for and second if the price gap wasn't so large I might lean toward the cleaner look but its not worth 3 times the price.

A strong suggestion is to install a GFCI breaker in the panel. You will be using a 240v 30 amp circuit in close/direct proximity of water. The breakers run $70-100 but small price in the name of safety.:mug:

A strong suggestion is to install a GFCI breaker in the panel. You will be using a 240v 30 amp circuit in close/direct proximity of water. The breakers run $70-100 but small price in the name of safety.:mug:

I did do that. The price was high but I didn't mind. I did have one snag. With the brew panel turned off the timer light flickers. The makers of the brew panel think the electrician messed up. I'm going to ask him next week.

View attachment 1459695396436.jpg

View attachment 1459695420542.jpg

Codes may differ depending on your area. Are you putting a 30 amp GFI in a box in the garage. I not an electrician but typically know enough or can get the answers to do this myself. I did my own central air which was 30 amp 240 and had to have an outside disconnect. Pretty simple installation. Also did all my own 240 at my cabin. Oven/stove is 50 amp, hot water heater 30 amp and electric baseboards I have 2 on a 20amp and 2 on a 15 amp.

Typically you can use a fish tape to fish the wire through your drywall. Then they are hidden and should meet code as long as you used 10 gauge (or proper gauge for your amperage) NM-B romex style wire.

Back