Coconut?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Edited:
You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up...

Is this crazy? I read Jack Heller's coconut wine recipe and got to thinking. I can't figure out why he used rice water to make the milk but here it goes:

1. Cook some rice in water for a while and drain off a few cups of the liquid. (why does he do this?)
2. Open a coconut, drain the water into a glass, add some rum and ice and drink it.
blob8.gif

3. Split the coconut and bake at 150F for 20-30 minutes to soften it up.
4. Remove coconut "meat" and shred. Add 1 cup of the hot rice water and soak/mix then strain off the milk to a jar.
5. Add another cup of the hot rice water and soak/mix then strain off the milk to a jar.
6. Set jar aside in fridge until secondary.
7. Take 1/2 of the coconut mash and toast it in oven. Add the toasted and raw coconut to the primary.
8. Add honey, water and zest of 3 limes.
9. Ferment for a week or so, rack to secondary and add coconut milk, lime zest and lime juice.
10. Adjust lime with each racking.

Am I nuts? Is the milk to oily to even consider this?

Doctor is there nothing I can take? I said doctor, to relieve this belly ache....

I'm definitely not a mead expert by any means but I would think that the high fat content in coconut wouldn't be very desirable when making any type of fermented beverage. Although I love the idea of having some coconut flavour in mead.

You might be able to do it. I think Jack Keller has a coconut recipe on his site, i think I saw one somewhere. I have made a coconut rum by cutting a hole in a coconut, draining the juice, filling it with rum, and plugging with a cork. You have to wait a couple of monthe but it is good.

You might have some luck using fresh, shredded coconut meat. I'd be concerned about the oil content though, you may get a sort of scum on the surface. You could also rack onto pressed coconut; you'd still have the problem with oil content, but you might get better coconut flavour. Try a 1 gallon batch; rack onto a can of pressed coconut & see what happens. I'd be very curious to see how that turns out. Regards, GF.
EDIT: You might be able to remove the oil/scum by filtering thru paper, like a Mr. Coffee paper filter, maybe.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/coconut-rum-stout-105594/

random link to check, there is more info at the bottom of the page

I don't realy like the idea of it but maybe you can find a quality extract to use for the flavor.

I really want this to work; it sounds good. When I lived in the Carribean they had lots of fermented coconut beverages (I guess fermented). They were all really good and really scary looking. The coconut oil never blends in the stuff they make but they include it anyways, looks bad, tastes good.

Back