Coconut Beer and BJCP Guidelines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br3ds0x

Reaction score
Does anyone know where a coconut beer would fit into BJCP judging? Fruit Beer? Vegetable Beer? Nut Beer? Google tells me a coconut is a fruit, a vegetable, and a nut? ahh

Goes in shv or fruit. I think shv is more appropriate. Gordon Strong thinks
so as well.

2015 BJCP Guidelines (in part) said:
30. SPICED BEER
We use the common or culinary definitions of spices, herbs, and vegetables, not botanical or scientific ones. In general, spices are the
dried seeds, seed pods, fruit, roots, bark, etc. of plants used for flavoring food. Herbs are leafy plants or parts of plants (leaves,
flowers, petals, stalks) used for flavoring foods. Vegetables are savory or less sweet edible plant products, used primarily for cooking
or sometimes eating raw. Vegetables can include some botanical fruit. This category explicitly includes all culinary spices, herbs, and
vegetables, as well as nuts (anything with ‘nut’ in the name, including coconut), chile peppers, coffee, chocolate, spruce tips, rose hips,
hibiscus, fruit peels/zest (but not juice), rhubarb, and the like. It does not include culinary fruit or grains. Flavorful fermentable
sugars and syrups (agave nectar, maple syrup, molasses, sorghum, treacle, honey, etc.) can be included only in combination with
other allowable ingredients, and should not have a dominant character. Any combination of allowable ingredients may also be
entered. See Category 29 for a definition and examples of fruit.
Catagory 30 - the guidelines says so in no uncertain terms :D

While the 2015 Guidelines are pretty explicit with coconut, the 2008 Guidelines are not. I've seen coconut beers in the Fruit Beer category before. I would email the competition organizer and confirm with him which standards are being used and if it's 2008, then ask which category to enter it into it.

Back