Cocoa powder in the Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sillybilly

Reaction score
Trying to determine how much cocoa powder to add to my sweet chocolate porter. I have read through a bunch of forums where it is added during boil or use cocoa nibs during secondary. Everyone seems to vary on the amount they use, but 8oz for 5 gallons in boil seems to be common. I want the chocolate to be in the forefront, but not overly bearing. Do you think that would be appropriate amount to use in secondary or less? If the chocolate flavor isn't there I can adjust at bottling but I am trying to avoid that to reduce sediment in bottles (trying to avoid buying chocolate extract if I can). I am also thinking instead of dissolving in hot water that I would use vodka to dissolve.

Just trying to see what your experiences have been using cocoa powder in secondary have been. any input would be greatly appreciated as I have never used it before.

I've heard cocoa powder in secondary can take a long time to drop out. If you can, I'd find some cocoa nibs and use those in secondary. I use 4oz for a week in secondary (on top of 2 oz of cocoa powder in the boil) in my chocolate stout. If you want more chocolate flavor you can bump it up to 8 oz of cocoa nibs. They're pricier than cocoa powder but aren't as messy.

You can also toast the cocoa nibs in the oven or on the stove for a short time until they start to brown and smell like brownies.

Latest posts

Back