cocoa nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zendon71

Reaction score
brewed a milk stout and want to add cocoa nibs before kegging. This is my first time using them and was planning on soaking 4 oz of nibs in a cup of nice bourbon for a few days, then dropping that in the keg before I dump the beer in and let that sit a few days... Am I missing something? Am I better off using vodka instead of bourbon? Does the bourbon add anything to the flavor positively or negatively?

Thanks for the help!

brewed a milk stout and want to add cocoa nibs before kegging. This is my first time using them and was planning on soaking 4 oz of nibs in a cup of nice bourbon for a few days, then dropping that in the keg before I dump the beer in and let that sit a few days... Am I missing something? Am I better off using vodka instead of bourbon? Does the bourbon add anything to the flavor positively or negatively?

Thanks for the help!

Bourbon definitely adds flavor to the beer. I've used cheep (Jim Beam) and Maker's Mark...use Maker's Mark...trust me! :)

Also, I like the bourbon flavor to be in the background, I usually add 6oz to 5gallons. This is all personal preference and will need experimentation.

Based on my experience (which amounts to 1 batch with 4oz of nibs soaked in vodka), you should be fine.

I use 4 oz crushed nibs in 8oz of Kettle One. Let it soak for a week in a mason jar, strain, then add.

I've given up on cocoa nibs, and am using baking chocolate now. I never got the flavor I was looking for with the nibs.

Thanks for the help!

The bourbon definitely adds flavor. You should also only use a bourbon that you like the flavor of and that you think will have a complimentary flavor. Different bourbons have different flavors and will work better than another in your beer. If you keg you can easily keg the beer and then dose samples with different amounts of whatever you are adding: bourbon, cocoa nib essence, etc., etc.

Back