Cocoa Chipotle (Chocolate Mole) Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuercusMax

Reaction score
This is actually a Partial Mash, not all-grain. For all-grain, bump the Maris Otter to 11lb, and drop the LME.

This might belong over in either the Smoked, Fruit/Veg, or Specialty forums, but I'm putting it here because it's primarily a Robust Porter.

This is currently in primary (5 days so far), and it's mostly fermented out, and tastes super good from my samples so far.

I did this as a partial mash, mostly because I bought a 33lb growler LME right before I learned about BIAB and decided to go all-grain, and this seemed like a good way to use up some LME.

My goal for this recipe was to make a Chocolate Mole beer. A robust porter seemed like a good base, with some dry chipotle peppers and cocoa nibs added. I added the Crystal 80 to get a raisiny flavor (as mole sauces often include raisins).

FERMENTABLES:
6.6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (56.9%)

3 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (25.9%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (4.3%)
0.5 lb - American - Chocolate (4.3%)
0.75 lb - American - Roasted Barley (6.5%)
0.25 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (2.2%)

HOPS:
0.9 oz - Glacier for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 7.4, IBU: 20)
1.05 oz - Goldings for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4.4, IBU: 14)
0.75 oz - Goldings for 0 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Aroma (AA 4.4)

OTHER:
6 dried chipotles for 0 minutes. Fished out of kettle and put into fermenter as well.
3 oz Cocoa Nibs, dry hop for 1-2 weeks.

Ferment with US05 in low 60s.

My OG ended up as 1.060, as I overshot my gravity from the partial mash, then tried to compensate by dropping down my LME, but went too far in the other direction. It's all good.

I brewed on Friday and today I tested gravity, took a taste, then squashed the peppers on the side of the fermenter, as I wasn't getting much spice. Smoke flavor is nice. Once I get the cocoa nibs I'll dry hop for about 2 weeks then bottle.

Very nice, I've been contemplating working something exactly like this into my brew schedule, as I love smokey and peppery beers! I wonder if maybe the chipotles would've kicked better if they'd been chopped up beforehand?

Looking forward to hearing the results!

It's possible If I had broken them in half (to expose the seeds and membranes) I might have gotten more heat. As it stands, i'm going to let them continue to sit in there while it's sitting on the cocoa nibs, and maybe squash them against the sides of the fermenter a few more times to extract more heat/flavor.

It's hard to tell whether the smoke flavor is from the chipotles or just the normal smoky notes you get from the roasted barley and chocolate malts, along with the earthy british hops.

Tried my first bottle tonight after 1 week carbonating.

Small head with very fine bubbles. Almost would think it was on nitro. Pitch black in color.

Nice chocolatey odor, along with roast. Not much hops in the nose.

Tastes amazing. One of my best beers by far. Very smooth, slight sweetness. Very easy drinking. Not much smoke from the peppers, but do taste a bit of fruity flavor. Chocolate comes through.

Spice hits in the finish, just the right amount. Not enough to slow you down, just a nice smooth burn.

Hides the alcohol very well. Could easily drink several of these in an evening.

This has gotten rave reviews - my brother described it as "the only chili beer I've had which I'd drink a whole pint of", and my coworker who "doesn't really like beer, except for a lambic I had once" asked for seconds.

Back