Coach's Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedward

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had breakfast duties again for the SWMBO and LOWMBO (not sure what you'd call the 2 year old daughter...) and made oatmeal.
As I was adding the oats to the hot milk, I noticed this brand had a very grainy look to it just like crushed/milled grains for AG brewing - or pretty close. This is Coach's Oats from COSTCO.

I searched on that name and nada - lots on oats though. So while eating, I thought - hmm people like bread and "bready/yeasty" beer, why not oatmeal beer? Not Oatmeal Stout or Porter, but something where the oat and sweet flavor of vanilla, brown sugar and honey blended in for a light flavor.

Anyone done something like this? I'm getting onto Beersmith as soon as the SWMBO lets me on the main PC to play around....

I assume some tweaking will be in order since most oatmeal as adjunct I assume use the flat oats or steel cut? Wondering what kind of adjustments would be made for the difference in fiber and carbs, etc...

Anyone think this will taste as good as I'm thinking, or would it taste like garbage?

4# 6row
4#flaked oatmeal
.5# honey malt
.5# crystal120
1# rice hulls
lightly hopped(like 15-20 ibus) no aroma hops

place to start anyway

edit:and oatmeal flakes are pretty much the same as flaked oats from the lhbs

Instant oats make an excellent adjunct for some beer styles, but I don't think a beer using oats as the primary fermentable would taste very good. You'd still need to mash it with plenty of six-row barley to get it to convert. It just sounds like it would be bland, maybe a bit astringent and chalky.

4# 6row
4#flaked oatmeal
.5# honey malt
.5# crystal120
1# rice hulls
lightly hopped(like 15-20 ibus) no aroma hops

place to start anyway

edit:and oatmeal flakes are pretty much the same as flaked oats from the lhbs

Thanks! - I'm still a little clueless about the base grains to use here and there. Need to brew more and more... That looks like a sweet start...

Latest posts

Back