CO2 Wand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyTanium

Reaction score
I don't have a kegging setup, but want CO2 for purging carboys, filling headspace, bubbling hops, purging sulfur, etc.

Any ideas?

I was thinking a paintball tank + regulator + tubing + diffusion stone?

I have a paintball tank and the Williams Brewing O2 wand...so if I just get a paintball adapter & CO2 regulator, think it'd work?

Why use the diffusion stone or wand? I just have a piece of tubing that comes off the manifold. Shove the end to the bottom of the keg/carboy and let her rip for a few seconds. No extra stuff needed.

The wand was just for bubbling hops...getting it down in a filled carboy. Not really necessary.

My larger question is what I'd need to dispense from a paintball tank. Do I need a special regulator? Special tubing? I am keg-parts illiterate.

Depends on the cylinder. The cylinders with an on/off valve will thread right onto a regulator and work normally. If the cylinder has valve that gets depressed when the tank is threaded into place, then you will need an adapter to push that valve. My LHBS has them, but want like 20 bones. I'm sure they can be found online.

No special tubing would be needed AFTER the regulator. Theoretically, a needed valve that is rated over 2000psi would probably work for your purposes in place of the regulator.... But for safety's sake, I have to recommend an actual regulator. They aren't that expensive and ensures that you don't send your cylinder rocketing across the room! ;-)

Cool, thanks. That is helpful. I know Williams Brewing has paintball adapters. I will check out my tank and see what I can figure out.

Finally getting back to this...

...If the cylinder has valve that gets depressed when the tank is threaded into place, then you will need an adapter to push that valve.

Okay - found this at Williams Brewing:
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/REGULATOR-PAINTBALL-ADAPTER-P3250.aspx

..Theoretically, a needed valve that is rated over 2000psi would probably work for your purposes in place of the regulator.... But for safety's sake, I have to recommend an actual regulator

Ok, good idea. I'll try to get a regulator then. Can I just hook up vinyl tubing to a regulator and release CO2 slowly (i.e., not under pressure?)

Just looking to purge headspace.

Yes, if the vinyl tubing is AFTER the regulator and only handling the low (10psi-ish) pressure you would use for purging head space

Back