CO2 vs. Liquified CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipstr21

Reaction score
I've aquired an older Coca Cola CO2 tank that says "Carbon Dioxide Liquified" instead of just Carbon Dioxide like my newer one. Is there a difference? It's probably a 20lb tank and is almost completely full.

I've aquired an older Coca Cola CO2 tank that says "Carbon Dioxide Liquified" instead of just Carbon Dioxide like my newer one. Is there a difference? It's probably a 20lb tank and is almost completely full.

I am no CO2 expert but all newly filled tanks contain liquid CO2. The only variation that one should be aware of is some tanks contain a syphon tube which brings up liquid CO2 from the bottom of the tank rather than CO2 gas from the headspace. These tanks are generally donor tanks that are used to fill other tanks or are used to make dry ice. Just make sure you don't have a syphon tank - you dont want liquid CO2 to get into your regulator.

Unless it is a LARGE (I mean LARGE) tank, you should be fine. From my experience/run ins with coke guys (and my two 20# tanks/Cornelius regs I scored for free off them with 3 kegs), you more then likely just have a 20# CO2 tank and are fine. If you're not sure, just take it to your local welding supply place and ask; If it's empty, just swap it :)

CO2 at room temperature can be liquid or gas, depending on pressure. A newly filled tank is almost entirely liquid.

CO2 at room temperature can be liquid or gas, depending on pressure. A newly filled tank is almost entirely liquid.

+1; It's the difference of a filler tank with the feed coming from the bottom to feed liquid CO2 (forgive me if I am wrong, this is only my inderstanding; never cut one open).

This is also the reason why your actual fill (high pressure) gauge on your regulator will go from 'OK' to 'refill me' fairly quick- Tank looses pressure and remaining liquid turns to gas (liquid is denser then gas).

open the valve, if powder comes out, its got a dip tube. if not, your fine. if its a coke tank, there is no tube.

most companies(including mine) stamp an "S" on the side of the valve if there is a tube in it.

the fact that it says carbon dioxide liquefied on the label is like someone calling it co2, and someone else calling it soda bubbles. different label manufacturers label it that way.

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm pretty sure it's a regular CO2 tank. A full 20# tank and regulator/guage wasn't a bad deal for $20.

Latest posts

Back