Co2 vs Carapils for excellent head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IloveWorts

Reaction score
So guys, I’m trying to find a way to see what the difference is between using carapils for head retention vs just using more carbonation to “push” the head out of the beer. If my beers seem kind of flat when the head dissipates I’m thinking that I don’t have enough Co2 in my beers or there’s not enough ability in my grain bill to hold a head. What’s a good rule of thumb for having carapils in recipes vs volumes of Co2?

My lighter beers I like to have a lingering head and not just exposed to oxygen, but all my other ones with bigger grain bills are ok. Just looking to get more professional opinion. Kind of a niche question.

What’s a good rule of thumb for having carapils in recipes vs volumes of Co2? What works for some who have great heads that gets people talking?

Carapils is one option, so is using things like flaked oats, barley, or rye. They all tend to add body, mouthfeel, and head retention. There are a lot of factors that play into head retention and the perception of body. More C02 will not get you the same effect. If you bump up the volumes you just get foamy beer. You also add more carbonic "bite" at higher volumes. One major thing that affects head retention is how clean the glass is. Rinse aids and even dish detergent can negativity affect head retention in a big way. You might try hand washing your glasses and rinsing w/ sanitizer before pouring.

So if im looking to get more of that carbonic bite should i lessen my carapils (and other things) so I can up the Co2 and not worrie about too much foam? What is the usual rule or like percentage that I should be at for using those malts anyways? like <5 %?

So if im looking to get more of that carbonic bite should i lessen my carapils (and other things) so I can up the Co2 and not worrie about too much foam? What is the usual rule or like percentage that I should be at for using those malts anyways? like <5 %?
More CO2 will add carbonic bite, if that's what you want. Many beer styles seem to be better without it though. Also, many of the foam producing malts work well at 3-5%. Wheat malt maybe 10-20%.

Are you able to get any head retention at all, or do your beers look more like carbonated soda?

kegging, and no its more like it pours with biggish head, but no bubbles rising, glass is clean, lines clean, taps clean. Only thing im thinking is mabey I didnt carb it up enough, but the head is for sure there.

kegging, and no its more like it pours with biggish head, but no bubbles rising, glass is clean, lines clean, taps clean. Only thing im thinking is mabey I didnt carb it up enough, but the head is for sure there.

That's a sign that the serving lines are too short. With a biggish head, but little c02 actually in the beer, it indicates that the c02 is being knocked out of the beer because of a lack of restriction in the beerlines to balance the c02.

If you have, say, 12 psi at 40 degrees, a good line length of 3/16" beer line is about 12 feet.

I had a feeling that might be it. ****. I guess it wont hurt to get longer lines anyways. It does seem like pours are going too fast. I hate having such twisted up lines in there. But it needs to be done

That's a sign that the serving lines are too short. With a biggish head, but little c02 actually in the beer, it indicates that the c02 is being knocked out of the beer because of a lack of restriction in the beerlines to balance the c02.

If you have, say, 12 psi at 40 degrees, a good line length of 3/16" beer line is about 12 feet.
Damn. I'm upgrading from bottling to kegging and I just ordered a kegging kit with 6 foot lines. Good to know.

Is there an equation to use for calculating length needed? Mine really isnt too bad because its around 37-38 but hey, perfectionist. Plus is Yooper is chiming in I cant not follow that advice.

Thank you, looking to upgrade again this week

Is there an equation to use for calculating length needed? Mine really isnt too bad because its around 37-38 but hey, perfectionist. Plus is Yooper is chiming in I cant not follow that advice.

This one is probably the best: http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/ BUT you may not always serve at, say, 11 psi.

You may want to have a weizen at 18 psi. So you can generally go longer, since there is no drawback except that it takes a couple of seconds longer to pour a beer. The drawbacks to short lines- foamy pours and serving issues- are much more real.

What @Yooper says cannot be overstated -- just go 12-15 or even 18' lengths and be done. You will end up there anyway. One man's experience.

Carapils doesn't do jack sh**. If you want to use a grain for better head, look to rye, wheat, or flaked anything.
This. This right here! I get far better foam formation and stability with high protein grains. Even my single malt beers have far better head retention than anything I've ever brewed with carapils.

That being said, line length is the most likely culprit.

10-12psi with 16’ lines at 40* F here seems slow but i get nice pours each time

Perfect, I was actually just on Mike Soltys calculator. For once in a thread I can say that this matter is closed. Will update my lines accordingly. Thank you all for the help and information.

Back