CO2 vs "Beer Gas" Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckrogers71

Reaction score
Having some guys over this weekend for a pool tournament. My biggest concern is running out of CO2 in the meister (nothing worse than running out w/ a house full of people wanting beer). I do have a tank of "beer gas" left over from when I was running Bare Knuckle Stout.

Can I use this in a pinch? Will it compromise the kegs (ie will they get funky, flat, bad tasting)?

The kegs will be new the night of the tournament. 1 Miller Lite (yes I know, swill but... most of the guys drink that) the other will be Flying Fish HopFish.

Not 100% sure, but I don't think it would be a problem in the short term. You may want to consider getting one of those hand-held injectors just in case.

Professor Frink said:
You have a keg of HopFish? Damn I'm jealous, I love that beer, I wish they distributed down here:(

Flying Fish is about a 20 min ride from my house. Very cool place. The only downfall is that they cannot distribute kegs :mad:

When I say short term, if (I hope to god that I done) I run out, I wont be able to get my refill till tuesday of next week. So it would be on "beer gas" for 4 days or so.

What would happen to the beer if left on it?

It'll be fine on beer gas.

Beer gas is not good for force carbing, so for a uncarbonated homebrew, that'd be bad. For a commercial or carbed beer, it's fine. (But the gas is more costly.)
For a stout on hi (30psi) that's good.

If the beer is already carbed then no problem. It will just come out with a very fine head like Guinness.

buckrogers71 said:
Flying Fish is about a 20 min ride from my house. Very cool place. The only downfall is that they cannot distribute kegs :mad:

When I say short term, if (I hope to god that I done) I run out, I wont be able to get my refill till tuesday of next week. So it would be on "beer gas" for 4 days or so.

What would happen to the beer if left on it?

So why don't you come out to one of our club meetings? ;)

Of course I still have to figure out where we will be having our March meeting...

paranode said:
If the beer is already carbed then no problem. It will just come out with a very fine head like Guinness.

That's not the whole story. To get that effect you need a stout tap with the restrictor plate and you need the psi dialed up to at least 30.

Otherwise there will be no noticable differance at all.

max4677 said:
So why don't you come out to one of our club meetings? ;)

Of course I still have to figure out where we will be having our March meeting...

Once I start brewing (too much going on right now) I will. I know Chuck Folker pretty well.

With that being said, I got my "beer gas" from BeerCrafters. But now that I think of it, I dont know if its just N2:confused:

I can't conceive of anyone at a place called BeerCrafters would sell you straight nitrogen. That would presume that people mix their own with CO2.

Highly unlikely.

Even so, it'd still work in the short term as you outlined.

olllllo said:
I can't conceive of anyone at a place called BeerCrafters would sell you straight nitrogen. That would presume that people mix their own with CO2.

Highly unlikely.

Even so, it'd still work in the short term as you outlined.

ok. i wasnt sure. cool!

buckrogers71 said:
Once I start brewing (too much going on right now) I will. I know Chuck Folker pretty well.

With that being said, I got my "beer gas" from BeerCrafters. But now that I think of it, I dont know if its just N2:confused:

Chuck is pretty cool. He hosts our August meetings typically.

I just got off the phone with Beercrafters and their beer gas is a N2/CO2 mix. I figured I'd ask for you while I was letting them know about some donations we are getting for Homebrew Day in May.

max4677 said:
Chuck is pretty cool. He hosts our August meetings typically.

I just got off the phone with Beercrafters and their beer gas is a N2/CO2 mix. I figured I'd ask for you while I was letting them know about some donations we are getting for Homebrew Day in May.

Thanks Max. Very much appreciated!

Back