Quantcast

CO2 vs "Beer Gas" Question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

buckrogers71

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern NJ
Having some guys over this weekend for a pool tournament. My biggest concern is running out of CO2 in the meister (nothing worse than running out w/ a house full of people wanting beer). I do have a tank of "beer gas" left over from when I was running Bare Knuckle Stout.

Can I use this in a pinch? Will it compromise the kegs (ie will they get funky, flat, bad tasting)?

The kegs will be new the night of the tournament. 1 Miller Lite (yes I know, swill but... most of the guys drink that) the other will be Flying Fish HopFish.
 

rdwj

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2006
Messages
4,571
Reaction score
36
Location
Plainfield, IL
Not 100% sure, but I don't think it would be a problem in the short term. You may want to consider getting one of those hand-held injectors just in case.
 
OP
B

buckrogers71

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern NJ
Professor Frink said:
You have a keg of HopFish? Damn I'm jealous, I love that beer, I wish they distributed down here:(
Flying Fish is about a 20 min ride from my house. Very cool place. The only downfall is that they cannot distribute kegs :mad:

When I say short term, if (I hope to god that I done) I run out, I wont be able to get my refill till tuesday of next week. So it would be on "beer gas" for 4 days or so.

What would happen to the beer if left on it?
 
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
13,304
Reaction score
158
Location
Phoenix
It'll be fine on beer gas.

Beer gas is not good for force carbing, so for a uncarbonated homebrew, that'd be bad. For a commercial or carbed beer, it's fine. (But the gas is more costly.)
For a stout on hi (30psi) that's good.
 

paranode

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2007
Messages
430
Reaction score
1
Location
DFW, TX
If the beer is already carbed then no problem. It will just come out with a very fine head like Guinness.
 

max4677

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2007
Messages
118
Reaction score
0
buckrogers71 said:
Flying Fish is about a 20 min ride from my house. Very cool place. The only downfall is that they cannot distribute kegs :mad:

When I say short term, if (I hope to god that I done) I run out, I wont be able to get my refill till tuesday of next week. So it would be on "beer gas" for 4 days or so.

What would happen to the beer if left on it?

So why don't you come out to one of our club meetings? ;)

Of course I still have to figure out where we will be having our March meeting...
 
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
13,304
Reaction score
158
Location
Phoenix
paranode said:
If the beer is already carbed then no problem. It will just come out with a very fine head like Guinness.
That's not the whole story. To get that effect you need a stout tap with the restrictor plate and you need the psi dialed up to at least 30.

Otherwise there will be no noticable differance at all.
 
OP
B

buckrogers71

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern NJ
max4677 said:
So why don't you come out to one of our club meetings? ;)

Of course I still have to figure out where we will be having our March meeting...
Once I start brewing (too much going on right now) I will. I know Chuck Folker pretty well.

With that being said, I got my "beer gas" from BeerCrafters. But now that I think of it, I dont know if its just N2:confused:
 
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
13,304
Reaction score
158
Location
Phoenix
I can't conceive of anyone at a place called BeerCrafters would sell you straight nitrogen. That would presume that people mix their own with CO2.

Highly unlikely.

Even so, it'd still work in the short term as you outlined.
 
OP
B

buckrogers71

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern NJ
olllllo said:
I can't conceive of anyone at a place called BeerCrafters would sell you straight nitrogen. That would presume that people mix their own with CO2.

Highly unlikely.

Even so, it'd still work in the short term as you outlined.

ok. i wasnt sure. cool!
 

max4677

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2007
Messages
118
Reaction score
0
buckrogers71 said:
Once I start brewing (too much going on right now) I will. I know Chuck Folker pretty well.

With that being said, I got my "beer gas" from BeerCrafters. But now that I think of it, I dont know if its just N2:confused:
Chuck is pretty cool. He hosts our August meetings typically.

I just got off the phone with Beercrafters and their beer gas is a N2/CO2 mix. I figured I'd ask for you while I was letting them know about some donations we are getting for Homebrew Day in May.
 
OP
B

buckrogers71

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern NJ
max4677 said:
Chuck is pretty cool. He hosts our August meetings typically.

I just got off the phone with Beercrafters and their beer gas is a N2/CO2 mix. I figured I'd ask for you while I was letting them know about some donations we are getting for Homebrew Day in May.
Thanks Max. Very much appreciated!
 

Latest posts

Top