CO2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoutattheDevil

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I was wondering if anyone knows of good places to pick up used and or cheap co2 canisters minus the regulator and valves. I can get a hold of the hook ups and will shell out the cash if its a must but i didn't know if anyone has had an E-bay luck or any good links on a good set up.

Cheers!!

I think a lot of us search Craigslist and or the local ads. Here are a couple from the Ann Arbor Craigslist. There is a 20 lb. tank in there for 50.00 which is a good deal. Link >> http://annarbor.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=co2 tank

FWIW...
When buying anything thats not new try and make sure its not in need of hydro testing right off. Theres a stamped date on the tank near the neck and testing is required every 5 years.
Some shops (fire extinguisher, welding) can arrange a test for around $20 or so...otherwise I've had luck with Praxair where I took a 15 year outdated tank and just exchanged it.

Good luck!

:mug:

Call your local welding shop and see if they rent/lease tanks.

I don't own either of my tanks...I have security deposits on them instead, and just swap them for already filled ones. Saves me time, and I can always get my deposit back later on.

That seems a bit rare anymore malkore. Did your security deposit equal the full price of a new cylinder? When I bought a C25 cylinder for welding at Home Depot, I paid over $200 for a 170 cubic foot bottle. I can exchange it at HD for the fill price, or have it filled anywhere I want, or sell it if I choose to. It's my bottle, but I'm sure I'll never pay for a hydro test. I'll just exchange it every time I need a fill. This seems like the smartest approach to owning any kind of gas bottle, and a very good reason not to ever pay big dollars for a new bottle.

Back