co2 tank work in Australia?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaveBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be moving to Australia and am having my keezer shipped with me. Can I get my existing co2 tank filled there? If not is there an adapter piece I can buy to fit on an Australian co2 tank so I can still use my regulator? I would hate to have to replace both. My regulator has 3 seperate pressure regulators so it is not a cheap one. Any help is much appreciated. Cheers!

No, it won't. The Land of Oz is metric. It's been so long I don't remember any details but their tanks definitely look different. You would probably have to have an adapter machined for you. It's obviously doable but probably cheaper overall to just buy an Ozzie tank and gauge when you get there.

WRT to the Keezer: I assume that's a small refrigerator outfitted for serving beer. Oz is 240V 50 Hz so you will need a transformer and there may be a problem with the compressor motor.

Thank you for all of the info. Sounds like I will be needing a new tank and regulator. For the keezer I have a chest freezer and it is newer. I am going to try the transformer route and if it blows I will by a new one. My employer is paying for the move so there is no real cost for me to try and find out.

Not only is the voltage different but the frequency is different as well. Oz uses a 50 hertz frequency while America uses 60 hertz.

No, it won't. The Land of Oz is metric. It's been so long I don't remember any details but their tanks definitely look different. You would probably have to have an adapter machined for you. It's obviously doable but probably cheaper overall to just buy an Ozzie tank and gauge when you get there.

WRT to the Keezer: I assume that's a small refrigerator outfitted for serving beer. Oz is 240V 50 Hz so you will need a transformer and there may be a problem with the compressor motor.

Look at the rating tag on the Keezer. If it does not specifically list 50/60 Hz then leave it in the States. 60 Hz only motors don't like 50 Hz power - they draw more current and will eventually burn-out & a step-down transformer won't help. Transformers don't convert line frequency, only line voltage.

Even if the motor has enough steel to stay out of saturation the thing will run at 5/6 the design rpm if it is a synchronous or induction design. That's the problem I had in mind.

I wanted to update for anyone looking at this post in the future. I ended up having to replace my co2 regulator as even with the Aussie nut it didn't work. On the bright side my keezer and wine fridge have worked beautifully for about a year now.

Back