CO2 tank with electric regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DLDave1978

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I have been brewing since May! I love this hobby!

I am in the process of procuring kegging equipment. I received four corny kegs from the CHI company two weeks ago. I have been searching for CO2 tanks and think I found one. I've been in contact with someone that is selling a 5lb CO2 tank for $45. It has an electric regulator though. Has anyone ever seen one with an electric regulator? How does that work? Is $45 a good price?

Thanks for any help I can get. I've already learned so much from lurking here for months.

Thanks!
-dave

p.s. though my profile shows female, I'm a male...I can't figure out how to change it. :D

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I think the regulator you are reffering to is meant to be integrated into a hydroponic growing system. Not sure if it has any use in a kegging system or not.

malkore

Reaction score
is it a regulator with a solenoid on it? I have one of those for my planted aquarium. if that's the case, its fine. when power is applied to the solenoid, the valve is open.

you set these up on a timer or pH monitor that kills the power during lights out or if the pH drops too low....basically at times when you don't need extra CO2 for aquatic plants.

OP
D

DLDave1978

Reaction score
is it a regulator with a solenoid on it? I have one of those for my planted aquarium. if that's the case, its fine. when power is applied to the solenoid, the valve is open.
It does have a solenoid on it. It looks like it can be unscrewed off of the valve on top.

I'll put a picture on here tomorrow. I'm at work now so I can't do it from here.

yermej

Reaction score
And $45 is a good price for a used 5# tank; especially if it's full and/or has an up-to-date inspection.