CO2 tank size recommendation for 5.0 cu ft keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
Currently I have two 5 lb tanks of CO2 I have been using with my 2 tap kegerator. I like to have 1 on reserve so I never run out of CO2. I am building a 3 tap keezer so that I can have up to 5 kegs at once on tap so I figure another reserve bottle wouldn't hurt. Primarily I plan to have 2 kegs on tap in the keezer and a third carbing. Since I want to always have 1 bottle in reserve should I go with yet another 5 lb canister or a larger 10 lb? Currently I go through 1 keg about every 2.5 weeks. Thanks in advance!

My 2 cents, find out the cost to fill a 5 lb, 10 lb, and a 20 lb. and make your choice from their.

For me, I started with a 10lb tank, now that just sits in my brewroom almost empty while my 20lb tank is hooked up. The 20 lb tank cost more to start with, however it was like 5 dollars more to fill versus the 10lb tank. Plus where I get it filled doesn't normally carry 10lbs so it was a drop off and pick up a day later, where as the 20 lb tank is an exchange.

Since you already have 2 5 lb tanks, you can always just stay with that and not have to worry about running out, ie once one emptys swap over, and the get the empty tank filled/exchanged.

Thanks for the input, I ended up going with a refurbished 15lb cylinder that was on sale on cornykeg.com, hard to beat 83$ shipped!

I only use the larger tanks (50 or 65 pound - not sure which). I also have a PowerTank transfer setup to be able to fill smaller tanks (I think they are made in Lodi, CA).

I like the 15# tanks.....lve got 2 they last a long time and are easier to move than 20#

Back