Co2 tank safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizdumb1

Reaction score
I had someone I know give me a full tank that they used for aquariums. I was looking at it today and around the top I see what looks like stress cracks. I'm not 100% on it but have never seen it on any tank I've had. Should I be concerned with this? I don't see tons of info in searches.

Attachments

• 20220605_093434.jpg
    20220605_093434.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Even if stress cracks were to cause a rupture, you'd pretty much have to throw it at a cement floor for a dramatic youtube-worthy explosion. (Much experience with compressed gas tanks....as me how I know :p )
As long as the stamped date of the last pressure-test is still valid, even if it were to rupture while standing, it would only be a slow and undramatic leak, maybe even too slow to hear the hissing.

Thanks for the responses. Tank will need recertification. Last stamp was 2017.

Never underestimate the affects of leaking CO2. Worst case it may cause asphyxiation if the room is not well ventilated. Unlike propane or natural gas, CO2 does not have any "scent" added to it so a leak may go unnoticed.

Latest posts

Back