Co2 tank/regulator seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use only an o-ring between the regulator collar and the tank. I've never used a piece like you've posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That O-ring thing is used instead of a nylon or fiber washer. That said, I found the O-ring to be highly prone to leaking and stopped using it after it cost me a couple of empty tanks.

That device is a truly bad idea gone to market.

The connection between gas cylinder and regulator coupler is essentially a flare fitting, meaning it is the face of the stem sealing against the face of a gasket which in turn seals against the face of the tank valve.

Sticking that threaded fitting to the tank valve now means that the regulator stem seals against the face of the fitting - which is not sealed at all to the tank valve - it's just threaded in, with no gasket behind it. And the coupler nut will do nothing to seal that fitting or the stem - that's not it's job. All the nut is supposed to do is draw the regulator stem, gasket, and tank valve together in one big "squish".

Instead of paying $5+ for a bad idea, just buy a freakin' fiber or plastic tank washer and save your gas money...

Cheers!

Well, already ordered one so I guess it's not going to hurt. I'll have to order some washers. I can't find anything locally, gets to be a real pain.

Thanks so much!

They give me a couple of new washers every time I swap tanks, but I don't need them. I only use Micromatic regulators now and they have a built in nylon seal that works very well. I haven't used a washer since buying those regulators and have had zero issues.

I have a taprite regulator that I really like but I accidentally pinched the o ring up in the threads and caused it to leak. I am currently using some o rings I got from Lowe's that aren't quite right for the job but if you tighten the hell out of it they hold seal.

Latest posts

Back