CO2 tank refill - Houston Area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mredge73

Reaction score
There are wielding supply and fire extinguishers shops on every corner of Houston but few have beverage grade CO2. I live in the Clear Lake area and the only places that I have been able to find is Paxair in Deer Park (hwy225) and Airgas on the south loop. Neither has good service and Airgas has recently doubled their prices for walk in customers. ($30 for 20lbs). Last time I went to Paxair it took them a week to fill my cylinder; 3 days at Airgas.

Yesterday I did a cylinder exchange at Airgas for the first time. They were actually pretty friendly this time. Before I got home, however, the pop-off on the tank blew and dumped the entire cylinder. I am going to demand a new cylinder today, I will let you know how it goes.

Have any of you had similar issues?
Where do you guys fill your CO2 in the Houston Area?
Are there any places that still sell blends to walk in customers?

Was B&S completely out of CO2 again? I filled my tank there when I lived in League City. There's a propane fill shop on 146 just south of NASA. I've asked him about CO2 and he does exchanges too. If you don't want to go to B&S you could give him a try. I can find the name and number if need.

I didn't know B&S did refills; I will try there next time.
The guy at the propane shop on 146 cannot fill a 20lb bottle last that I checked; I get my propane filled there often so I will check back.

It took 3 trips total to get my CO2 filled at air gas, I would rather not go there again...

Thanks

Definitely call ahead before heading to B&S. They've been "out" of CO2 and could only fill my 10# tank to ~2# on a couple occasions.

Yikes, at that rate it will take you 5 trips to fill it at B&S!

I am still surprised that it is this difficult in Houston; Beergas was great before Airgas bought them out and closed the doors.
Hoping that someone on the forum has a good local gas shop with reasonable pricing.

Have you tried DeFalco's? They've never led me wrong and actually seem to always have CO2 to fill my tank! What a concept! :D

I'm a little late to the thread but i recently moved to Richmond and had to find C02..

Praxair in Rosenburg fills them.

I read on an earlier post something about "beverage grade c02"? Whenever i've had my tank filled ( in CA ) there was never mention of that.

Can someone shed some light on that?

Like most commercial and industrial gasses, C02 is refined from Natural Gas as a byproduct of ammonia and hydrogen production.
So it contains some other nasty gases that have to be scrubbed out. Industrial grade commonly used to create dry ice or fire a paintball gun undergoes a lesser degree of filtration than that of a beverage or medical grade gas designed to be ingested.
There is a thread on here somewhere that a few gas guys have gone through greater detail of explaining the difference between grades.
Some fill stations only dispense beverage grade and will purge your tank of impurities before filling it with a beverage grade product.

B&S Brewers Guild closed November 2015, only place in Clear Lake I know is the new DeFalco's Clear Lake.

CLEAR LAKE
9223 Stella Link

16532 Sea Lark
Houston TX 77025

Houston TX 77062
(713) 668-9440

(281) 486-1141
Since 1971

Order Line (800) 216-2739

Carbonics supplies the Greater Houston Area restaurant and beverage industries with their CO2 gas needs. We specialize in 20 lb. and 50 lb. cylinder refills, with pick ups and deliveries on either a route basis or call-in basis.

Carbonics is one of the few companies in the Greater Houston Area that will fill a customer’s cylinder while they wait. For this reason, many home brewers bring their cylinders for refilling to our warehouse facility at 1207 Missouri Street, South Houston, Texas 77587.

I don't think Defalcos will do 20lb+ tanks.
I will check out Carbonics next time I need a fill up; found a few paxair places that do exchanges but is hit or miss if they have full cylinders.
What is the price at Carbonics for a 20lb, and do they purge and fill?
Do they have Beergas?

Carbonics is pretty good. They also can do beergas (nitro co2 mix). But it takes a few days to ship to plant and back.

Good to know about commercial grade, I used to get mine refilled at a paintball shop a few years ago....I haven't keeled over yet!

Have you tried DeFalco's? They've never led me wrong and actually seem to always have CO2 to fill my tank! What a concept! :D
Not to resurrect old thread, just kidding I am. I did not know defalcos did gas. I'm still angry they closed clearlake shop. I'm in league city and just got a keg setup and need my tank fillled

Wow! I didn't know that the Clear Lake location closed! That sucks! The propane refill shop on 146 in Seabrook JUST north of the Kemah bridge does CO2 exchanges, but if you have a nice, new tank, you probably don't want to swap it out for a used one. DeFalco's is the only location I know of that refills tanks. They charge $3/lb iirc.

Any one know of a source of CO2 on the northwest side up 249 outside the beltway?

Just to add a bit of information:

I spoke with Praxair in Rosenberg, TX and they only do tank exchanges.

Firetron in Stafford will do refills sometimes they will do it while you wait other times you have to come back to pick it up.

Been a few years since I started this thread. Praxair is my go to place now, the one on Federal Road by my work always has 20lb exchanges ready to go.

I was at Defalco's on saturday and they acted like there is no one inside the loop or close that will fill CO2 but them. Is that true?

Air gas on the south 610 loop will fill or exchange C02.
They are not cheap, they are about $30 for a 20lb refill.

I work on Federal road right outside the loop, praxair shop here now has tanks to exchange for $18.

Old thread, just thought I'd update the Bay Area Folks....

Hoppin' Grape on Hwy 3 close to Bay Area Blvd. is our LHBS now and they fill CO2 cylinders on site. Great people, too...

Matheson will exchange your empty tank with a full one, or you can leave your tank and pick it up in a week or so. Farmboy brew shop on North Shepherd will do refills. The owner, Landon, is a great guy and runs a small but fairly well stocked shop too.

https://farmboybrewshop.com/
Matheson Tri-Gas
2200 Houston Ave, Houston, TX 77007

Good to see that there are a few options out there. I'll give a shout out to Farmboy too. Hard to believe that in a city this size, the lack of HB shops there are.

Back