CO2 Tank Price Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian13

Reaction score
So, I came across a full 20lb co2 tank for 60 bucks. I want to buy it but was wondering if its a decent price before I pull the trigger. Thanks in advance.

As long as it's still in certification and you won't have to recertify any time soon, it's a great price.

There's a date code on the tank that tells when that is. You couldn't buy an empty CO2 tank for that price, much less a filled one. It's either a helluva buy or the tank is out of or nearing expiration of certification.

If the tank is out of cert, you can trade it in and see if they ask you for the $20 for a new cert. The place that do trade in often don't charge for tank certs, because they would have to match cert for cert on each swap out. Second the tanks can't be a Coke or Pepsi tank. It should have a sicker of someplace on it. If you can call that place and make sure it's a customer owned tank and not a rental. $60 is IMHO an OK price, depending on condition. You can find them as low as $35

My local welding supply used to fill my fancy 5 lb. aluminum tank for $15.
When the cert ran out on that he just grabbed a full 5 lb. bottle from his supply the floor and kept my shiny old bottle. Said it will get tested and put back into circulation.
Cost was still $15 for the exchange. Now I just get an exchange bottle whenever I go there. Exchange bottle is aluminum or steel, whatever is handy.

Buy it before it's gone!

That is unless it's real old (steel) clunker. If it's out of certification try to offer him $10-$20 less.

Yet, even at $60 it's a bargain. Then deal with recertification/swap out later. Most gas dealers will charge $20-25 or so for a hydro test when you trade an out of date one. Some won't charge at all.

Is this for a pre-filled tank?
Yeah, if it's full, -20 from 60= $40 it's a good deal. When places that use CO2 close they can't do anything with the tanks. So if a bar closes and it has 6 CO2 tanks, you may see them come up on CL, for just a few bucks. I think your deal is good.

Bought it. This is what it says. Think that is the date it was tested vs the expiration date. Am I right?

20170204_134450.jpg

Great! Feel good about the deal then. It was a gas station that closed down. The guy had a few left if anyone is looking in Austin.

Latest posts

Back